I have never canned anything before. I didn't understand why one would go to all the trouble of picking and pickling when the grocery store sells canned food for almost less then what I would buy an empty glass bottle for.
Until we did.
NOW I understand! There was s tremendous amount of accomplishment when we went to the strawberry field and picked ice cream buckets full of strawberries to take home (well what we could manage to keep out of Jakey's mouth...) to wash and keep on cookie sheets ready for jam making. My helper and I waited until piggly wiggly himself went to bed and the jam marathon began. We squashed and mixed and boiled and bottled and then we rejoiced in hearing the successful pop of all the lids but one...which we happily dove into to taste. Our honey, blueberry and strawberry jam turned out wonderfully and I think we may just have caught the canning bug!
No comments:
Post a Comment