
Ben has a little bag he carries with him EVERYWHERE. He wouldn't even get his haircut yesterday without it clutched on his lap. Often others will ask "Ben what is in your Bag?" He looks at them like it should be obvious. "My toy magazines".
It is a bag stuffed with toys R us, walmart and magazine insert toy flyers from the last three months. They go with him everywhere and are sorted at least ten times a day. He reads them again and again, to the point they are soft and crinkled. I feel for his little feelings when the inquirer will usually start to laugh. When they look at me I say simply "He has quite the collection." And he does. Regardless of his ignorance in the adorableness of his hording.
As his attachment to them got stronger, his dedication to acquiring new material grew and the amount of time he spent looking at them, sorting and memorizing the pages increased I began to worry. Is he "wanting" too much? Is this encouraging ingratitude, materialism and frivolousness? I told him he could pick one thing for Santa to bring him and he looked at me in horror.
"But Mommy, I really just want another "magazine!"
I think it is funny that he values the ads for the items more than the actual items in the pages. Santa is going to get a break this year in our home and needs only deliver a sears wish book I think for Christmas to be a true hit!
No comments:
Post a Comment