While reading the Easter story to Ben and Jacob this year Ben was very serious about it. He seemed to understand to a greater degree that this is more then a story...this really happened, for him! He listened intently and sadly as we read to him from a children's illustrated bible and he had many questions. As the topic turned into what our plans entailed for the weekend the topic of celebration came up. some of the things we do to celebrate the resurrection is to eat special food and receive some spring treats in an Easter basket. "where does the basket come from?" Ben looked at me sideways...
uhhhhh....
After sharing with him the miracle of Christ's resurrection, the blessing of eternal life and the great love and sacrifice of our savior...I felt uncomfortable shadowing this with a story of a big bunny. Is the celebration of Easter not enough without a chocolate toting rodent to make it more exciting for children? When he realizes the fictional nature of the origin of his basket will he too question to some degree the legitimacy of the resurrection? I told him the truth.
"mommy and daddy get you some treats and so do your grandparents. We pretend sometimes that the Easter Bunny brings them but that is just for fun". He looked at me like clearly he understood that bunnies do not bring baskets...not really, he only wanted to see what I would say.
I think fantasy, imagination, creativity and a thin hold on reality at times are exactly what makes childhood unique and magical. Certainly encouraging these elements are important but when there is a REAL story that vastly outweighs any that I could make up...I just didn't see the point of a bunny.
agreed, and we did the same for Ruby.
ReplyDelete