Monday, January 3, 2011

2011

Each year I like to have a theme. Something that I am personally working towards mastering at a greater level (that sounded pretentious no matter how I worded it..."humility" for 2012 perhaps?) 2010 was service. I had many opportunities to serve those around me from friends, family and strangers. In service I learned about myself, others and my desire to continue to make this a priority in my life as well as teach my children this value. We were delivering some zucchini loaves we had baked for some people in our church that could use a few extra prayers when Ben asked to come to the door with me a few houses in. He asked why we were giving bread to the people and I said simply "to make them happy". He was satisfied with this and he rang the doorbell of a home we did not really know the occupants of. When a man, who had been sick for quite some time answered Ben thrust the bread at him and grinned. Prone to be a little more reserved in new situations I was surprised at his confidence. "What is this?" the man asked after I introduced us. "So you can be happy!" Ben said in all seriousness. It was such a good feeling to know that this was not lost on him and although we all laughed after he delivered our reason to be there, it was the truth, and if only for the lifespan of the loaf I do believe we were able to deliver a bit of happiness. This was only one of many opportunities we had to serve and I have a greater conviction at the end of the year about the importance of seeking out these opportunities. Rarely will people ask for help, it is necessary to see a need in another and meet it to the best of our ability. I learned as well, there are two levels of service. The first is to give if you have extra and believe yourself capable of putting forth the time, energy or expense required. The higher level is so give when it means sacrifice. The second of the two brought me the greatest personal rewards. To give someone one when you have two is kind. To give someone one when you will be left with none is true charity, and from which the greatest blessing come. I believe it was actually me who came out with the most on every occasion.

2011 is the year of gratitude. I want to just soak in the happy, rich and fulfilling bubble of opportunity, love and blessing that is my life. Or how I chose to see it anyway. I want to reflect on all that is right and good about everything around me and savor all that I have to be grateful for. I have started a gratitude journal and in it I can write about anything from my awesome husband to my awesome slippers. Nothing is too insignificant to be grateful for, there is ALWAYS something, and in my case many many somethings. This is the year to count them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...