Why we have decided to home school our children...
1-leisurely mornings.
2-Plenty of park play.
3-Individualized education plans .
4-lots of time to develop personal interests, goals and hobbies.
5-Opportunity through cub scouts, primary, home school groups, clubs and lessons for positive socialization and to build friendships.
6-Lots of time available to spend on religious studies and character building.
7-Freed time for service work.
8- Museums.
9-Snow days...in May...
10-Warm lunches.
11-Vacations and overnight trips during the week!
12-More time as a family
13-Unit studies that end with parties, or trips (space center?! France?! The Beech?!...)
14-We can know how our children are growing, developing and how to help them specifically in whatever areas they need a boost in.
15- Lots of active time for busy boys
16-There are no nuts at our "school".
17- There are no bad grades, only extra time to learn in.
18- Puzzles...
19- Science experiments...
20-Building projects...
21-Daddy days...
22-Lounge around in our pajamas and make cookies days...
23- Books...
24- Books...
25-...Books...
26- Did I mention the books I can't wait to read with them???
27- Opportunities for Mommy and Daddy to learn about new things along side our children.
28-Because Daddy can do Math and Mommy can do English...
29-We will get to know our children on a deeper level as we watch them develop daily into the men we are so proud to know they will be.
30- Because I am blessed to be able to stay at home and be a full time Mother.
31- And I have the desire to educate them in the way that would be best for each child uniquely.
32- Because Daddy is so smart and can teach them so much.
33- They can spend the largest part of their day with someone who loves them, delights in them, cares for them, protects them, hugs them, kisses them, talks with them, hears them, adores them, wants so much for them, will do whatever it takes for them.
34-because that will matter to them...
35- In their self esteem, their self confidence and their self worth.
36- They will have more chances to succeed.
37- And opportunities to work harder.
38- They can listen to the music they want to.
39- Study in the way that best suits them.
40- learn about things that interest them NOW.
41- They can come back to something if the time isn't right now.
42- I won't "fail" them.
43- They will have the highest of expectations on them.
44- Every opportunity in front of them.
45- And the tools they need to get there.
46- More time to PLAY.
47- They can be free to be themselves.
48- They can learn to manage their day
49- And be responsible for what they accomplish in it.
50- They can save the tougher lessons of life for later
51- When they can stand firm in who they are
52- And be unwavering when faced with difficult choices.
53- They can develop a closer relationship as Brothers.
54a- Because we know home schooled children who are extroverted, leaders, intelligent and fit in just fine wherever they go.
+
54b-We know kids that attend public school who are a little unusual, don't make friends easily and are difficult to relate to.
=
55- So we are confident that it is not educating children at home that makes them "weird and unsocial".
56- Jon and I have attended public and private formal schooling for a combined total of 34 years. I think we might know a thing or two about a thing or two that we could pass on.
57- Because after being educated at home for one and three years, respectively we have two amazing, bright, funny, polite, respectful children who love to learn, soak up knowledge and are doing wonderfully. Right here.
58- So we don't want to fix what isn't broken.
59- We want to do this because it is right for us.
60- Because we understand and agree that it isn't right for many other families
61- And not a choice that everyone can or wants to make for their children.
62- Because lots of people think we are crazy
63- and we agree.
64- But more than anything we are excited!
So there! Now our plans have been revealed (this isn't new, we talked about this on our honeymoon...before any babies...but have just grown more certain as the years have gone by and the babies are here!). Maybe one day the principal will find two wide eyes little boys sitting outside his office with a Mother who has only left a trail of smoke behind her as she floored it to the day spa and then to the padded room, in that order. But for now, for this year, this feels really right.
I wanted to announce this in a sense because this space is going to fill up quickly with our adventures and come September my "8" loyal followers may wonder "hey shouldn't that kid be in school?!" Well...now you know, don't call the truancy officer just yet but registration day came and went at the old kindergarten...I did not join all the other teary eyed Moms but I did join 2 home school groups locally and was amazed at the amount of families who are doing the same...I also went and looked at curriculum. That stuff is addictive! I can't decide what to use yet... I am torn between...20. Hmmmm I wonder if Jon will agree to get a laminator...and a photocopier..and a Cricut...
Good for you Jenn! I would love to home school, but just don't think it's financially feasible for us unfortunately.
ReplyDeleteDo you have any links to the home school groups? Or any other info?
You'll definitely need a cricut!
ReplyDelete