Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Plan

We have this plan...crazy as it is...to...save money.

Ew.
That sounds like no fun at ALL. It means you have to say "No". To yourself.

Delaying gratification has never been a strong point with me. Ask Jon, he will tell you. Actually please don't ask him.

We want to pay off our house, and save money for retirement and educate our kids and all kinds of other worthwhile stuff... but the problem is that I forget all that stuff when I am in a store...or on the internet or when someone at playgroup has a new stroller or some talented Mama on Etsy has bow ties for sale and I know two of the most perfect necks to done them.

Yes. It is a problem.

For example. Yesterday I was in a store to RETURN something. That is to reclaim money. I was confident in my trip when I entered and felt myself wavering as I walked through the isles of spring displays. I talked myself in and then out of everything I came across. Until I saw it.

The little black green house.

(pick it up)

I have been growing my little baby seedlings (you should see the beans...they are precious) in ugly disposable trays. Not pretty on my mantle at all. My little baby peppers are probably cringing at the thin plastic around them and that is what is stunting their growth.

(Put it down)

Oh no! My little peppy's are failing to thrive because I have surrounded them in ugliness. How could I expect them to grow in such conditions?!

(pick it up)

This glass and rod iron house on the other hand. This is a house that would hold in not only warmth but expectation of success. I could almost hear it's beauty coaxing the little sprouts up into it's generous airy arch. But I can't.

(Put it down)

But it would be perfect on my sofa table. The morning sun pours in that window. And really the money we are saving in growing out own food (GROWING OUR OWN FOOD!) this summer should surely contribute to such a renewable investment. I would use this greenhouse every year and save more money on the flowers and plants I could start in there. Do you KNOW how much greenhouse plants cost?! This is a money saving investment. AND I would be motivated to start lots of seeds, we could even expand our garden to accommodate all my plants. Our house would be "the beautiful house with all the garden's". We could enter the home and garden tour and MAKE money from our garden's.

(Pick it up...and walk (quickly) to the cash register)

"Okay Ma'am (when did I become Ma'am???) with your credit of $14.60 deducted from the bill you still owe $XXX.XXX".

Um okay.

So I still have some work to do. I am trying to not think of the Excalibur dehydrator stair carpet trampoline built in bookshelves baby jogger city mini double stroller matching Easter outfits powder room vanity garage flooring counter top back splash wading pool spring coat Mellisa and Doug building blocks jujubee bag and tripp trapp chair. Not at all. In fact I could barely even remember that list of things I don't want.

Because we have a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...