Monday, September 5, 2011

(Not) Back to School





We had our (Not) back to school dinner tonight! ...and I forgot to take pictures.
It was just that much fun.
There was Shepard's pie, corn on the cob, Sweet potato fries, an unveiling of our school curriculum (Heart of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven) apple spice cake and a new tradition...

Annual Family Theme

On new year's I choose a personal theme. Last year was service and this year was gratitude. I always find, maybe until I have been out of school longer than I have been in that September feels like a new beginning as well. We are following the traditional school calender with "formal" home schooling and so I thought it would be fun to have a family theme we concentrate on for our school year. I am having a custom plaque being made for the wall with our family initial, year and theme. When we get a new one next year I will retire it to the upstairs hallway where we will have a gallery one day of family themes that we have (hopefully) mastered.

I am so excited to begin this adventure with our family. I am privileged and blessed beyond words to be in a position to get to fully engage in the daily learning, training, guiding and nurturing of my children. I absolutely love being with them and the thought of sending one of my little boys (who still seems so very little!) to school tomorrow is so foreign. This is the confirmation I need to know this decision is so right for our family.

There is nothing I love more than watching one of the boys master a new skill, delight in a new experience or display pride over something earned over hard work.

I was feeling overwhelmed at times a year ago when we decided absolutely that we were going to guide our children's education. In that year however my confidence has grown tremendously as I watched what they both achieved in that time. With support, nurturing and patience they are grasping more on their own that I could ever sit down and "teach" them. I can model, share, encourage and facilitate but the path is theirs. I want them to be comfortable there and sure one day of their direction.

Sure enough Ben fuels his recent interests in space and maps with questions, videos, books and additional information supplied by us. His new found interest in drawing has him hunched over a pad with crayons and pencils in hand decorating our fridge with his art, with details I am truly impressed with. Within the last week Ben has shared his interest in reading. He is now willing to go over numbers and letters like never before. He will play any literacy game on the computer as long as I will let him and devours books like the library is shutting down. I am astounded at his enthusiasm for learning. I never want him to loose this.

Watching Ben has taught me such patience. Children come at their own speed and develop at a pace unique to themselves. I got caught up in the expectations early on beginning with their due date. Ben came at 42 weeks and Jake not much sooner. Only now do I not refer to them as "late". They come when they come. They learn when they do and to push and rush and move them to a different schedule does them no favors. Jacob didn't walk "early" and talk "late" he is just doing what Jacob does, ready when he is. I am just thankful that I get to be apart of it all. He is picking up so much every week and I am truly in awe of the perseverance he shows when he is determined to do something. Don't get in his way! Both of the boys are so different but their most basic needs are identical. More than anything I want them to be confident in their authentic selves and find the unwavering support and love they need from those who are most invested in their success- right here at home.
Not to say we will be home much...oh no! This week we have our home school group at the local farm, home school soccer and a special home school day at the pioneer village. We have lots to keep us busy and I love that I get to do it along side them!

My goals and hopes for this 2011 year are that we can grow, learn, laugh and experience... together.


2011 Family Theme-"Cheerfully do all things that lie in your power".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...