Thursday, March 1, 2012

"Wiss Lists"


Sometimes things become so commonplace that they seem normal...until it occurs to me that it may not be typical for everyone. This dawned on me last week at the store. When Ben asks for something new we always tell him to put it on "the list". This was case last week at the store, standing in line waiting to pay for our purchase (that did not include the logging truck he desperately wanted) "...I will put it on my "wiss list" (wish) AND on my birthday list. I would put it on my lost list except that I can't find it" (he is too young for the irony but the couple in front of us couldn't stifle their smiles at his running dialogue over the lists he keeps)...on my wiss list I will write a check mark on what I really really really REALLY love and an X on what, I don't just REALLY love...my logging truck will get TWO check marks...." You have to give him credit for his last attempt....I think he almost convinced the couple in front to go get it for him.

Yes...Ben and his lists... they make me smile, but are such a "normal" thing for him.

The other thing that makes me smile every night is when I remove from his bed the worn, torn, well loved and dog eared, marked up, circled, checked and X'd Christmas Sears wish book catalog. He has slept with it in his bedroom every night since it arrived in November and often times with it right beside his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...