Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Daughter

It is an interesting thing, a daughter.
I look at her and I see myself. All of the best parts of me. She is fresh, full of...anything. Everything.

Every baby girl born in this time, in this country, in this city, in this neighborhood. They are some of the most fortunate in the world.  Her opportunities and her freedoms are so many.
She will have a better life for being born right here. Her potential is limitless.

And I am her Mother.

I want so much for her, so much. I don't know how to give it to her.

I didn't know I would be in this crash course of Mothering suddenly when I panicked at the thought of missing something vital. Not instilling in her the full value and esteem she is worthy of.
I want so badly for her to know of her worth, her beauty, her purpose. I want her to know confidence, joy, love. I want her to have a heart softened in the right places but strong enough to hold firm in what she knows to be true. I want her to have an articulate tongue and a sharp mind. I want her to love her body and the miracle it will one day be capable of. I want her to be proud of who she is. I want her to value good relationships and know the joy of service. I want her to love herself and be at home in her skin. I want her to know how powerfully loved she is.

Oh it is daunting. To have a daughter. It hasn't even been four weeks.

I came across a thought finally that wrapped up my answer.
All of these things that I want so much for her. This beautiful girl, made of the best parts of me.

"Your Daughter will become what you are. So be who you want her to be."

So that is my answer...this little baby girl of mine. She has given me a new internal perspective as I comb through all the parts of "me" that will one day be reflected in her. 

As I come into my thirtieth year I am more keenly aware of some of the traits I have that I  would want a little more or less of. What a perfect opportunity to reflect on these changes before they are mirrored in her.

I am so excited to see the little girl and woman Ella will become. If her early infancy is any indicator...she is someone special.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...