Sunday, January 27, 2013

Day Twenty Seven.

Ben is such a great kid.

I am also biased but correct when I say how very gifted and bright he is. His Grandparents all agree. So it must be true.

Ben soaks up knowledge and facts. His memory is incredible. Unless I ask him to go upstairs to get socks. He will come down with my sweatshirt.

He has a gift for numbers and spacial problems like puzzles or building things. He loves to create and build. He is good at drawing and colouring. He has very nice printing and has taught himself to read. Yes. He taught himself. He copied words over and over. He would ask me what the next word was and then start again until he has built up about 200 sight words. Then he asked for some more "early reader" books since he could read all the old ones. Now he has moved onto regular children's books.

I signed him up for a science class this week. He wants to know how everything works...so I thought this would be a good fit for him. I watched him through the window for a bit...he was so tiny. The class was for children older then him but I was surprised how much bigger they all seemed.

"How was it"?
"Oh it was fun. TOO much fun!"
"What did you learn about?"
"Colours, and prisms".
"oh ya?"
"Ya. Those big kids thought when we mixed the colors together we would get black but I told them that they are PRIMARY colours and so they would make all the other colours if they were mixed right".

Well yes. That is Ben.

He wants so badly to do well. He is cautious and thoughtful and precise. Except for when he is totally acting his age and having a hissy fit over the wrong...whatever... and being impulsive and sensitive.
But those moments are getting fewer and far between. He is really growing up.

I am so proud of him.

Jon and I marvel at what he knows and laugh at how he innately just loves superhero's and  Star Wars. He is obsessed but we have no idea how he knows all about any of it. We are debating letting him watch some of the first Star Wars movie. though I maintain that it is too violent (Jon protests...I say...we'll see....)

He loves to try new things but sometimes needs to hang back and observe for awhile before he feels comfortable enough to engage.

He loves food. He will eat until we just won't let him anymore. He never seems to be full...nor get past 38 pounds. He also never stops moving...so that could have something to do with it.

He is looking forward to riding his two wheeler this summer and learning to tie his shoe laces. His pants are purpetually falling down and "Pull up your pants Ben!" is heard 20 times a day.

He loves to tell jokes. They are not funny. He thinks they are though. So does Jacob.

He adores his siblings. The three of them get along so well. Jake and Ben play together all day everyday. They rarely fight, they protect each other and both are crazy about their sister.

I am the luckiest mom in the world.

I really am.

I want to remember all these little things about Ben as he is at five and a half. He is a boy to be proud of. And we are. He is an amazing kid. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...