Thursday, December 2, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree


There is something about a real live Christmas tree and it's selection, care, commitment, uniqueness and dedication that makes it all the more meaningful. We chose it, water it, vacuum up after it (alot!) and in turn love it. I really really love my real live tree! (So does Jacob...he loves it so much he stripes half of it five times a day just so we can decorate it again and again...) And that smell... it is so wonderful! I look for excuses to leave the house just so I can be welcomed back with the scented welcome of our very own lopsided, bottom bare, balsam fir.

I think much of memory is associated with scent, or mine is anyway. One wiff of a certain perfume can bring an old friend to mind instantly. A warm apple pie can put you back in grandma's kitchen, cinnamon gum; in the backseat en route to church. A roasting turkey can throw a heap of holiday memories barreling down on you at once. I am hoping to create these memories for my "Littles" so these sense rich experiences can imprint a little more permanently in some way on their young minds.

I think Ben said it best when we were baking banana oat breakfast cookies and warming apple cider on the stove while we waited for them to bake.

"What's that smeeeeellll?" Ben questioned me under wrinkled eye brows.

"I don't know Ben, what does it smell like?"

"It smells like...love."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...