Our resident baby, who is literally teetering on toddlerdom (oh those steps are just days away!) is the most curious little boy. He has an insatiable thirst for experimenting, discovering (and vanilla rice milk...) He empties out the tuberware drawer ten times a day, looks for anything new I may have placed in drawers or cupboards (which I do periodically to throw him...) and when I make any kind of major change, leave it to Jake to notice. I switched the direction of the kitchen table while he napped and when he came downstairs he was pointing and "ah ah ah-ing" like I hadn't noticed... That's Jake! Can't get anything past him! He also has a sixth sense about stair gates and can just sense if one has been left open. Fortunately in his excitement at noticing the available upstairs adventure he pounds the floor so hard crawling over there with his signature "ah ah ah- I am excited about somethin'" noise that he gives himself away. (And then sobs...but we won't talk about that, it's too sad when Jakey cries).
Of late though, he has gotten bored. Yes. Bored. He gets frustrated with lack of stimulation, in that if the environment, company, or activity isn't changed frequently he gets increasingly irritated with...boredom. I have been trying to appease his apatite for new experiences lately as much as I can (as I try to accept that he isn't a baby anymore who should just sit and coo lovingly at me as he watches my fascinating work in the kitchen). In desperation today I plopped him in the sink to quench his whining and he was THRILLED. I left the plug out and left the water running (I am sorry environment, and water bill...I will make shorts out of pillowcases this summer as penance...). He played beside me as I chopped and mixed and would look over every once in a while and grin!
I need more ideas for him...
No comments:
Post a Comment